California Rare Fruit Growers – Central Coast Chapter
March 2018 Newsletter
by Lori Bright
Larry gave us descriptors for several methods of propagation. He explained why and when it’s best to use each method. Some propagation techniques discussed were: air layering, cuttings and even when it’s best to use plain old seed. Then we moved onto grafting.
Today, Larry taught us about cleft grafting, chip budding, and other modes of joining rootstock to scion wood. The best time to graft is when the bark begins to slip and always make sure that the cambium layers match up. Today the crew, under Larry’s supervision, used a cleft graft to graft 100 apple trees.
Thanks Larry. That was simply Amazing!
Thanks also to the students from Cal Poly and Cuesta for helping out. What great energy! You guys made the day Fun for all of us.
Another successful and educational meeting.
Orchard Maintenance Saturday, April 28th, 2018.
Time: 9am - noon
We're doing maintenance of the CRFG Central Coast Chapter Demonstration Orchard. Come help thin fruit, fix drip lines, pull weeds, weed wack, and fill gopher/squirrel holes!
Marv & Tucker Graft To Donate to Non-Profits!
Central Coast CRFG Members Marv Daniels and Tucker Schmidt have been busy grafting apple scions to rootstock. They
will donate these trees to non-profit groups, most of which are in SLO county. Marv has been
doing this for quite some time, and Tucker has been helping for several years now.
By the way, if you missed Marv's article about how he started apple grafting, be sure to read it in last month's newsletter!
Here is a partial list of the non-profits that have received their trees:
- Afternoon of Epicurean Delight
- Arroyo Grande Village Summer Concert Series
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of San Luis Obispo County
- Cambria Historical Society
- CASA of San Luis Obispo County
- Central Coast Aquarium, Avila Beach
- Central Coast Concerned Mountain Bikers Organization
- Central Coast Roadroad Festival
- Central Coast Woman's League
- Central Coast Woodcarvers
- Center for Creative Thought
- Family Care Network inc
- Food Bank Coalition of San Luis Obispo County
- Fort Hope
- Goleta Valley Railroad Club in Goleta, CA
- Heritage Days, Cambria
- Hesperia Hall Quilt Show
- Hi Mountain Lookout
- Jubilee by the Sea
- KELRIK Productions
- Los Padres Forest Association
- Nacitone Museum Organization
- Noor Foundation
- Opera San Luis Obispo
- Pacific Repertory Opera
- Quiet Star Center
- San Antonio Valley Historical Association
- San Luis Lighthouse Association
- San Luis Obispo Bicycle Club inc
- San Luis Obispo City Parks and Recreation
- Senior Nutrition Program
- SLO Bigs
- SLO Buddist Temple
- SLO CASA
- SLO Co., 4-H
- SLO Symphony
- South Bay Woman's Network
- Stepping Stones
- St. Patrick School Catholic School
- Senior Volunteer Services
- Wine Waves & Beyond
- Woman's Alliance Hospice SL